#LearningProject: Power Meter Installed!

Today I tackled the install of my power meter and it went off without issue. It was a relatively simply process albeit a dirty one.

As stated in my previous post, I didn’t need much in terms of tools or materials. A Shimano preload cap tool, a rubber mallet, some grease/lubricant, a torque wrench, and an allen key set was all it took.

I documented the process with a few photos that I joined together for ease of upload.

First, I popped the bike in a stand for ease of access to the area I would focus on. I opened up the Stages box and had a look at the paperwork and any instructions there within. I was reassured that having done my research and watched the Stages videos at their support centre, I was well prepared to tackle this job. I then removed the pedal from the old Ultegra crank arm, loosened off the crank arm itself using a #2 allen key, hammered out the crankset, and inspected the condition of the parts I would keep. I gave everything a good clean and a re-lube before preparing for the next step.

Bike in stand and checking out the Stages box.  Ready, set, go!

Bike in stand and checking out the Stages box. Ready, set, go!

Pedals getting removed and crank arm out.

Pedals getting removed and crank arm out.

Shimano preload cap tool and the removed crankset.

Shimano preload cap tool and the removed
crankset.

I then lubed up all parts including the crankset spindle and all threaded areas before using the rubber mallet to hammer the crankset back through the bottom bracket and began to tighten on the new crank arm, a Shimano Dura Ace model. Loosening off and tightening on the crank arm to the crankset required a particular attention to detail I was unaccustomed to. After tightening the pre load cap and moving on to the #2 allen key screws, you must be sure that you are tightening each of the two screws equally. This means turning screw #1 a full turn and then rotating over to screw #2 and doing the same. I repeated this pattern until both sides were tight. I then used the torque wrench and set it for 12-14 newton meters, as instructed on the Stages Install video. Once this was done I checked to be sure the drivetrain was shifting smoothly before I took a celebratory selfie.

Mission accomplished and a celebratory selfie to commemorate the event,

Mission accomplished and a celebratory selfie to commemorate the event,

The last step was the cleanest and easiest: syncing my Garmin GPS unit to the new power meter. Included in the Stages box is an ANT+ ID number. Navigating through the various areas in the GPS unit to the Sync New Device tab I was able to enter in the five digits ANT+ ID for the two units to sync. This was all laid out for me at the Stages Support Centre.

Ready to roll.

ANT+ ID, sync devices, and ride.

ANT+ ID, sync devices, and ride.

In the coming weeks I’ll post a reflection of how my training has been affected by this new toy. Either way, I feel pretty darn proud of myself that I was able to do this install alone and without issue.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “#LearningProject: Power Meter Installed!

  1. Pingback: #LearningProject – Power Meter Reflection | esqedtech

  2. Pingback: #LearningProject Final Reflection | esqedtech

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s